POTS for 2022 | Start by saving? Thoughts?

@mohnishom Gamification for Pots sounds fun! Got anything in mind? :star_struck:

We can have daily , weekly , monthly ,yearly saving opporunity Literally like gullak and provide some jewels for same ,you save 10 rupees every day for month you get 5 jewels or you save 5 rupees every week you get 20 jewels.

1 Like

I recently started using pots cause i realised i can put extra money in pots and every month just transfer, according to my budget.

Not ‘saving’ for anything but as a student it helps me reduce my expenses when my parents give pocket money for multiple months at once.

Probably not the way it’s intended to be used!

4 Likes

Yeah! POTS can be used in different ways.

Some use it for just storing the spare change from jewel cashback like @Roshan mentioned.
@Dhruv uses it as an expense management tool!

1 Like

Me started 1st pot…as me started using jupiter…reached the goal…as had set the limit…me call me sumdi mei kumdi…heeheh…seems got 1 re interest…then started 2nd pot…yet to reached my goal…does help…why to withdraw…if not real emergency…hence POTS…love the person who names it POTS…does match moi…loving it…

4 Likes

Yeah…me agree to this point…didn’t knew me would get interest till me didn’t get one…so now …Roy changes on something…so it utilize it more…benefits needed

Dunno about the jewels…as yet to redeem them…how do we do that…pl advise

1 Like

I’m the type of person who can save money in a savings account (same as pots) without opting for pots or any other same feature.
Might be this is useful features of some but these features are not in my wishlist.
It’s just my opinion so please don’t take anyone personally.

1 Like

@Imashish No worries! That’s really impressive, to be honest. If you’re able to save without the help of Pots, that means you’re in the right track for managing your finances. Question. If you’re not using Pots and just using the savings account, what other methods/features are you using instead?

Share some tips and tricks with us! :pleading_face:

1 Like

In my case nothing special but my primary bank account is Idfc first where I receive Interest on monthly basis.
Apart from intrest I Invest some of my salary amount into crypto and some funds into mutual fund on monthly basis.
Also I spend mostly on my credit card that means I also receive intrest on my amount for 45 days from my bank and clearing due of cc got some reward/cashback so that way I’m saving some amount every month.

People who save via Jupiter pots/Fi fit rules this is my way of Saving!

4 Likes

This is great! Thanks for sharing this with us, @Imashish

2 Likes

Well if I say frankly I use pots to split my upcoming month expenditure, let me give the example:

I have to pay my electricity bill one in 3 months, so its a quarterly billing cycle and my electricity bill amount is nearly 3000 for 3 months, now say I have to pay this amount on the month of March so basically what I do is, I create a Pot named “Electricity Bill”, set the goal of 3000 and put aside 1000 rupees in January, 1000 in February, 1000 in March. So by this I reach my goal my ease and can also pay my bill but also don’t have to look for money when I recives the bill. So i stay perpared for my upcoming expenditure and can pay all of them in time but also can relax at the same time by being organised by this POTS.

Currently I have 5 POTS :blush::grin:

1. Gas Booking
  2. Rechages (includes SIM,DTH,Broadband)
  3. Electricity Bill
  4. Tution Fees
  5. Rents

The point to be noted hereas you can see from the names of the POTS above, its all for recurring payments and I create thoose POTS for short term usages, so the Interest Rate don’t actually matter there. Here the basic functioning of the POTS is to keep me organised and prevent me from spending excess money on shopping and etc. as POTS have a different account.

But as you see I don’t have a POTS for something like “Emergency”, Emergency is something that happens rarely, and we don’t really know when it’s gonna happen it may happen thrice in a week or maybe once in a decade, only the God knows :sweat_smile:

Generally speaking as Emergencies happen kind of very occasionally so it isn’t really much profitable to save for it in a POT which have interest rate same as savings account, the interest rates do matter in case of such long term deposits, i hope i was clear with my eaxmple.

My suggestions are:

1. Some lock in deposits with higher Interest Rates than that of the savings account (useful for long term deposits)
  2. Automate the process of putting aside money on the POTS for every shoppings and etc.
  3. Option to invest automatically in the best possible Mutual Funds by analyzing the users Risk taking Capabilities, deposit durations and several other factors by a professional. Because frankly speaking I as a student makes a lot of wrong decisions into it.
  4. An option to directly purchase Golds, without the requirement of 100 Jewels
  5. Lock in recurring deposits
  6. Single space to analyse various aspects of all of our deposit, factors like Rate of Reurn, Tenure, Risk Factors etc
  7. Personalized suggestion about where should we invest based on the reqirements of different users.
  8. Classic FD/RDs

I dont know if any of the suggestions are helpful or not, but I wanted to see Jupiter as self dependent bank as I use Jupiter as my primary bank from the last 2 months.

I wanted to make this happen that literally Jupiter don’t need to say that this feature is only avilable in the Classical banks but not with us, on the other hand Jupiter should be like in this feature you get this benifits on a Classical Bank but with Jupiter you get Classical Benifits+Jupiter Revamped Benifits.

Lol i maybe a liitle obsessed with this now :joy:, anyways if i have been something helpful, thats always great to hear.

@Shawnpinto Thanks for this wonderful community. :heart:

6 Likes

This is brilliant @Samadrita. Thanks a lot for sharing. You are absolutely spot on to be obsessed - that’s exactly what we love and want too :slight_smile:

Talk to us a little bit more about the priority order you want in this list (and why). Don’t worry about how difficult or easy it is - just what is it that would make the most difference to you and that you would love to see first

Brilliant idea @Ankit_Gangwani . Talk to us a little bit more - what kind of rules do you want to setup - maybe some examples?

I created two pots one for portfolio management fees and another for stock rebalancing.
I want to use these pots as wallets. Jupiter provide account no. and IFSC no. for pots. One account for two pots, how my balance will deduct from desired pot??

1 Like

Hey, @Anki you can see your Pots account details in the app settings. (Make sure you have the latest app version)

However, keep in mind that the Pots account isn’t meant for transaction purposes. It’s mainly used as a piggy bank. You deposit bit by bit to achieve your goals and withdraw the amount once the goal is achieved.

The amount from your pots doesn’t get auto debited. This is in the works :slight_smile:

1 Like

It would be soo cool if I could create a pot for ‘Food’ and then whenever I transact on Zomato or Swiggy, it automatically deducts amount from this pot. Similarly ‘Fashion’ pot can be directly debited if I make a purchase on myntra.

If I want to spend not more than x rupees on clothes in a month, then I just transfer that in fashion pot. You could also offer some premade pots for most frequent uses like food delivery and stuff.

Also if a payment of z rupees is not autodetected then we should be able to tag it later and then z rupees would transfer from that pot to main balance.

It would be so easy to keep track of budget and spending! As I understand from this thread, most people use pots for budgeting rather than saving so I’m guessing it can be a great pivot.

4 Likes
1 Like

I still couldnt understand the concept of Pots.

If I want to save for a specific goal why would I not create a SIP in a mutual fund or a Recurring deposit at any bank which has the same flexibility as that of POTS?

Comparision

1. Low-Interest rate of 2.5% for POTS while banks offer up to 8% interest on Recurring Deposit.

Banks also have different recurring deposit schemes running. Corporation Bank has a Millionaire Scheme on offer wherein you will receive a million rupees at the end of the scheme. This deposit carries a very high-interest rate of 9.25% per annum. So the choice of your deposit scheme will also factor into the interest rate. Depending on the benefits offered with the RD scheme, your interest rate may vary.

1. Flexibility of Cashing out -
    While this could be a great feature as you can cash out at any time using a Jupiter account, but doesn’t seem like a USP for pots as most banks provide flexible breakout as can be done in a day or two.

2. Auto save -
    You can auto-invest money on a recurring basis but the same can be done using your bank account.

PROs

• Jupiter has a nice UX and you can see all your pots in one click and withdraw money instantly but that doesn’t seem like a viable feature for me compared to losing almost 5% on the interest rate.
5 Likes

idea - recurring deposit in pots
I want every week some amount goes into my pots but I will do this every time which is very hectic for me so if there is an option for recurring so that I save more without having any problem.

3 Likes