World Password Day

Yes, A little bit late, but hope the members here find this topic useful.

World Password Day is an annual event celebrated on the first Thursday of May. The event aims to raise awareness about the importance of using strong and secure passwords to protect online accounts from hackers, and encourages users to take the ‘Password Pledge’ to assess the strength of their passwords. The event began in 2013 as an effort to educate people about the risks associated with using weak passwords and has grown in significance ever since. It is crucial not only to safeguard personal data but also to protect the data of families and businesses.

A brief History:
The concept of a “password day” was first proposed by security researcher Mark Burnett in his 2005 book Perfect Passwords, which urged people to update their important passwords regularly. Intel Security was inspired by his idea and declared the first Thursday in May as World Password Day in May 2013.

Here are some common mistakes people make when creating passwords:

1. Using easily guessable information such as their name, birthdate, or common words.
  2. Reusing the same password across multiple accounts.
  3. Using short passwords with less than eight characters.
  4. Using consecutive letters or numbers (e.g., “1234” or “abcd”).
  5. Not including a mix of uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers, and symbols.
  6. Using common or predictable patterns (e.g., “password” “qwerty” or “12345”).
  7. Sharing passwords with others.
  8. Writing down passwords in a location that is not secure.

Here are some tips for creating a strong and secure password:

1. Use a combination of uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers, and symbols.
  2. Avoid using easily guessable information such as your name, birthdate, or common words.
  3. Make sure your password is at least 12 characters long.
  4. Do not reuse passwords across multiple accounts.
  5. Consider using a passphrase instead of a password, which can be easier to remember and harder to crack.
  6. Use a password manager to securely store and generate complex passwords.

1 Like

On the same day:

1 Like

I used the ‘password’ once too!

2 Likes

I used the same password during my school days. I thought it was very tough to crack :rofl: :rofl:

i use bitwarden for all my passwords and i can’t even type them always copy paste

1 Like

Sheldon Cooper and his choice of passwords are my motivation!

2 Likes

Bitwarden user here too.

I prefer 30 digital alphanumeric special character password with TOTP as 2 factor authentication. :upside_down_face: (Bitwarden autofills the passwords and username for me)

Also most of the time uses unique forwardable email address for every accounts. :penguin:

(Started all these after Gemini crypto exchange breached and I started getting phishing mails) :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

:zap: See any of your email ID has been in a breach or not : https://haveibeenpwned.com/

:zap: See any of your passwords have been in any of the breaches: Have I Been Pwned: Pwned Passwords

2 Likes

Why those websites looks like a phishing site? :rofl: :rofl:
Also, My sincere thanks to @Pratyay_Mustafi and @Aswin_Benny bros for introducing me to another new tool/application.

2 Likes

my email has leaked twice once from pantaloons and another from wattpad

1 Like

Have you received any phishing mails or spam mails after that?

I was a bitwarden user but I just feel dashlane has a better UI and features. Also if you purchase the premium plan through the app store you get it for just 150 rs for a year along with a free vpn in collaboration with Hotspot shield Vpn which according to me is a steal deal.

1 Like

not yet

1 Like

Just checked dashlane. It’s really nice in terms of UI⚡

1 Like

Is the sites safe bro?..looks sus :joy:

it’s a standard db in cyber security space

Most importantly, its hard to remember PINs of different banks,DC’s and UPI.
I do not store them in password manager even though I use one but its an exercise to remember them.

i use to click a photo of netbanking password and user id and save them by sending to my 2nd whatsapp

I am somehow am not able to convince myself to use a password manager. I fear what if the password manager itself gets compromised.

Call me old fashioned. I write my passwords in a diary and keep it in a safe.

1 Like