Whats something you wish you'd spent more on in your 20s?

In my 20s, I deeply feared debt and spending money in general. I would routinely purchase basic items I didn’t enjoy because the version was on sale; think, Center Fresh over Hubba Bubba, saving pennies.

Now I value my everyday experiences and dammit, I buy “Hubba Bubba”

9 Likes

I wish I had invested early on in a house. That was back in 2004. I would have got my money 7-8 times and ofocurse had big savings

8 Likes

Hmmm this is interesting. Robert Kiyosaki says that " A house is often not an asset but instead a liability"
Would love to know your take on this and why you consider a house as an investment!

1 Like

if you expect a capital appreciation and not using for self stay, it is an investment

5 Likes

some of us are still in our 20’s :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I wish I had spent more on travel! I remember receiving umpteen offers for credit cards, home loans and car loans, but none related to travel! Wish someone told me they have a tie up with a travel company to finance the entire trip for a small interest. I probably would’ve gone for that.

9 Likes

Live music. Pays compound-interest memory dividends for decades. Plus you get to say, I saw them in their prime :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I guess the sleep environment: Burn through multiple expensive pillow/mattress combinations, custom blinds for darkness, have a sleep study and/or get your breathing passages checked out if need be. Demand perfect sleep.

1 Like

What would you recommend to buy to improve sleep?

I’ve always had sleep problems and though I did sleep studies, etc. it wasn’t until I started working at Eightsleep and got a Pod (our temp-controlled bed) did I realize what a difference an optimal sleep environment makes. 30% of your life is worth investing in.

3 Likes

Bitcoin. Not a huge fan of the whole crypto stuff but when I first noticed it it was 50 cents and I thought it wasn’t gonna be a thing because it wasn’t even real money.I was wrong.

1 Like

More of investments in the stock market as in Holding stocks longer and doubling down.

I wish I’d dumped the money I ended up wasting on University into stocks and mutual funds

3 Likes

Investing more money and time on my Mental Health…something like therapy!

3 Likes

What I would change from my 20s –

Spending more time and money on education/learning. Not for degrees, but knowledge generally.
Spending lesser money than I did on travel.

2 Likes

I would have also preferred to work with a startup early on

6 Likes

As for @Jiten’s point on buying a House. I have an addendum.

A house you live in is also an investment in specific scenarios, for instance, if you intend to change it as family needs grow. In that case, it becomes an optimisation between your lifestyle expectations and expected capital appreciation on the current house (also adjusting for lost rental yields/mortgage payments and rent saved).

I concur. I invested too late in good chair (~26yo) and good mattress (~27yo). And between the two, I nearly spend 14-15 hours a day.
So sleep and a healthy back.

2 Likes

I wish I had invested in Gold Coins and more Gold coins :grinning:

1 Like

Wish I’d spent more on learning/ courses! Travel too. Experiences > things basically.

1 Like