Custom UPI id

Having an option to create a custom upi id instead of a phone number one. Because privacy, duh !!

6 Likes

just use a third-party app then, then mask it. also there is no point in doing this as your name is pulled with the upi id anyways and if you are registered with apps like google play and paytm the phone number is also revealed.

2 Likes

No. In Gpay you can only see full contact numbers of those individuals which are already added into your contact list. Others are partially covered thinking this privacy only in mind. As far as name is concerned, thats fine.
Don’t use paytm.
The bigger picture is, there are apps which already have this option where custom upi ids can be used. It was already a feature of npci system

2 Likes

Ah ok I see.

It is actually a very good idea to allow users to have custom upi ID as already mentioned privacy is important but also allows user to choose his own upi ID which is actually a good thing. Many people prefer apps that provide this feature.

3 Likes

Hey, @Vishal26 welcome to the community :blob:
The feature for custom UPI id is already in the roadmap. Hope we can have it soon.

1 Like

I agree with your concerns about privacy when using a mobile number as a UPI ID. In the past, I was a supporter for custom UPI IDs and had even suggested it to Jupiter through a tweet a few years ago. However, after experiencing a few incidents, I have changed my stance and now believe that using a phone number as the UPI ID is the better option.

If a friend wants to send you money and asks for your UPI ID over the phone, there’s a high risk of miscommunication, where the wrong spelling or letter could be misunderstood and sent to someone else’s account. For instance, when I give my name over the phone, some people fail to recognize the hidden ‘C’ in it. The same thing can happen with UPI IDs, resulting in incorrect transactions. Using a phone number as the UPI ID can minimize such errors to a great extent.

By the way, the timestamp of 2022 on the link shared by @saurabh.s suggests that Jupiter may either be working on the custom UPI ID suggestion or have forgotten about it entirely. :grin: :grin:

2 Likes

Hi @razack ,

I understand your concern regarding the potential risk of miscommunication while sharing UPI ID over the phone. However, I would like to inform you that this issue can be easily avoided.

You can create a new custom UPI ID for privacy reasons, but your friend can still send money to your existing UPI ID consist of your mobile number. Your both the UPI IDs will be active. Payment apps like Paytm already have this feature.

3 Likes

I long gave up on the BHIM App. Guess, it may worth trying it all over again.

2 Likes

Second Abdul on the point on errors with the UPI Id. I believe with the option to associate one’s phone number to a particular app plus the ability to send money to other UPI apps from within the third party should be able to address the issue as well.

1 Like

In such cases, I always ask my friend to send 1 rupee to verify the UPI ID before sending the whole amount.

3 Likes

Paytm, Amazon pay & airtel app also has similar features.

3 Likes

Not a big fan of Airtel. Will try editing on Paytm and Amazon pay

1 Like