Fintech News Bytes

I would have liked an implementation where any rupay card could be used as a NCMC card.

1 Like

Sadly rupay virtual card doesn’t support Ecom transaction ,:smiling_face_with_tear:

@Abhishek_Ulayil Canara Bank’s RuPay debit cards now offer that facility. Previously, they did not, but after applying for the RuPay Select card, I can see a separate section called ‘NCMC wallet’ under the debit card section. I think there is a maximum cap of 2000 Rs for that wallet.

@alexnazy Yes, in fact, all the NCMC cards are same, Rupay Prepaid cards.

@Naruto No idea. Nothing was mentioned on the card when it was launched.

1 Like

The SBI RuPay virtual card might support E-commerce transactions. After generating the card, it should be activated through card settings. However, I’ve applied for the Virtual MasterCard. It is my first MasterCard, and it’s working fine :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Guess Jupiter was smart and fortunate to get a NBFC licence. I think Fi applied and it couldn’t get - foreign investors.

Forex services company Thomas Cook (India) Ltd and the National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) have launched India’s first RuPay prepaid forex card for Indians travelling to the United Arab Emirates (UAE).

1 Like

Isn’t it (Fi Lite) the same of Jupiter’s Decoupling feature ? :thinking:

2 Likes

Yes. It sounds the same.

I guess it is necessary as not everyone will be willing to open an account for a credit offering such as credit card or loan.

1 Like

UPI-enabled ATMs will exist alongside traditional ATMs rather than replacing them, ensuring coexistence.

2 Likes

The Pune Mahanagar Parivahan Mahamandal Limited (PMPML) announced to start the UPI payment service on October 3 for all the city buses after a successful trial conducted in the last 15 days

3 Likes

What’s the per day limit for online transactions? For Visa cards, it’s 50k per day.

I think the per day limit is the same as a Visa card, i.e. Rs. 50,000

How can they survive after engaging in such a kind of cash burn, especially when their IPO value has decreased from the issue price of Rs 2,150 and is currently trading at Rs. 856? Fyi, the IPO value has decreased by approximately 60.19%

3 Likes

Yeah even I’m bored of using Visa and Rupay :joy:

Isn’t this difficult in practice? For outer station buses, it may be easier. But for city buses amidst the crowds it will be difficult.

@saurabhsaha but Paytm doesn’t run too many offers nowadays. Right? So this might be a one off.

Especially as they are not in the Indian Government’s good books. So this might be a way to buy a place in the good books.

Also Paytm is slowly becoming a non-Chinese investors company. The company’s growth hinges on that. Paytm Payments Bank new customers ban removal, Small finance bank approval, etc.

The article further said that the Central Bank of India and Ebix, the company providing e-ticketing machines to PMPML, will enable e-payment options on ticketing machines. Passengers will be able to request a QR code from the conductor to make online payments for their tickets

1 Like

This Paytm offer might be a one-off, but it’s also a sign that the company is trying to turn things around. They may be offering this deal to attract new customers since they’ve lost UPI business to PhonePe and Google Pay.

2 Likes

This is exactly my concern. In a crowded bus, the conductors and travellers will find it difficult to scan, wait for the transaction confirmation and issue the ticket.

I don’t know about Pune, but in Bangalore this won’t be easily adopted by conductors.

Instead I am thinking you take a ticket through the app and let the conductor scan a QR code for verification.

While this maybe true, in my opinion Paytm is smarter with UPI. They are the biggest beneficiary bank. So all the money is coming to them through the merchant accounts - thanks to all the Paytm Soundboxes. And they are a near monopoly on the Soundbox market too.

So while PhonePe and Google Pay are spending their money to get customers, Paytm is spending the same money to get merchants.

And while cross selling is what PhonePe and Google Pay are hoping for to make money out of UPI, Paytm has managed to turn profitable using merchant loans using the cross selling strategy but from the merchant side rather than the consumer side.

I suppose that is why Paytm didn’t roll out offers on UPI when PhonePe and Google Pay were during the pandemic.