IPL and Fintech: A Match Made in Marketing Heaven?

The Indian Premier League (IPL) was first introduced in 2008, which means that it is now 16 years old. In that time, the league has grown from strength to strength, attracting some of the biggest names in cricket and establishing itself as one of the most lucrative and popular leagues in the world. With a format that combines sport and entertainment, the IPL has captured the imaginations of millions of fans across the globe and helped to popularize the sport of cricket even further. From thrilling matches to star-studded lineups, the IPL has something for everyone, and its popularity shows no signs of slowing down any time soon.

While the Indian Premier League (IPL) is primarily a sporting event, it has also become an important platform for fintech companies to showcase their products and services. With millions of fans tuning in to watch the matches, the IPL offers a unique opportunity for fintech companies to reach a massive audience and increase their brand visibility. Several fintech companies have already partnered with IPL teams and the league itself to promote their services. For example, Paytm, one of India’s leading digital payment platforms, has been a title sponsor of the IPL in the past and has also partnered with various IPL teams to offer exclusive discounts and cashback offers to fans. Similarly, Dream11, a fantasy sports platform, has become an official partner of the IPL and has seen tremendous growth in its user base during the league.

Fintech has a significant presence in the IPL. In the 2022 edition of the tournament, 29 start-ups joined the 10 IPL teams, with fintech companies being the top contributors, representing 34.5% of all participating start-ups. While the number of start-ups participating in the IPL has decreased to 19 in 2023 from 29 last year, fintech start-ups continue to lead the way in terms of sponsorship with 31.6% (Source: Inc42). Just like in the previous year, fintech companies are taking advantage of IPL’s massive audience to promote their products and services. Overall, the IPL has become an important platform for fintech companies to tap into the huge Indian market and offer their innovative solutions to millions of cricket fans across the country. As the league continues to grow in popularity, we can expect to see more and more fintech companies leveraging the power of the IPL to reach new customers and expand their businesses (Hope the decrease in this year’s sponsorship is only a short-term phenomenon).

2022 report: https://inc42.com/features/startups-catch-the-cricket-fever-29-indian-startups-take-to-the-pitch-at-tata-ipl-2022/

2023 Article: https://inc42.com/features/only-19-startups-on-ipl-2023-jerseys-as-funding-winter-hits-the-pitch/

The 16th season of the Indian Premier League (IPL) 2023 began on March 31, 2023, and will conclude on May 28, 2023. It seems like the only entity that isn’t paying attention to the IPL carnival is Team Jupiter :expressionless: :neutral_face: :man_shrugging:. Whether you browse Flipkart, MobiKwik, or any other app, you’ll come across some form of IPL-related promotions, rebranding, prediction contests, and offers. However, there’s been no such news or activity on the Jupiter App or in the community forum.

Is there, not a single cricket enthusiast working at Jupiter?@Shawnpinto @Jiten :grin: :grin:

Is the cost of sponsorship a significant hindrance? (I am not aware of the exact cost of Jersey sponsorships, although I know that a 10-second ad during the IPL costs millions).

Are there any future sponsorship plans for Jupiter, such as sponsoring the Royal Challengers Bangalore team? :cool_doge: :cool_doge:

Whenever I see the orange cap during IPL, I instantly associate it with Jupiter due to its distinctive colour.

It’s worth considering the value that IPL sponsorship can bring to a company. With a vast viewership and audience engagement, IPL sponsorship can be a great way to increase brand awareness and reach out to potential customers. Perhaps it’s time for Jupiter to explore the possibilities of IPL sponsorship and capitalize on the potential benefits it can bring.

Which is your favourite IPL team?
  • Chennai Super Kings (CSK)
  • Delhi Capitals (DC)
  • Gujarat Titans (GT)
  • Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR)
  • Lucknow Super Giants (LSG)
  • Mumbai Indians (MI)
  • Punjab Kings (PBKS)
  • Rajasthan Royals (RR)
  • Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB)
  • Sunrisers Hyderabad (SRH)

0 voters

3 Likes

Small correction- It’s the sixteenth season of the IPL

3 Likes

Thanks for pointing it out. edited :+1:

2 Likes

I see IPL as a business and appreciate how they capitalise it other than that its just cricket matches.

3 Likes

Abdul, i am sure there are cricket enthusiasts at Jupiter as well and the idea of becoming a sponsor (gear, title, team association etc) would have been evaluated. It is the cost of investment that I assuming they are considering to not throw in their hat.

Agree, association with IPL brings immense brand presence. However, if not planned, it leads to some not so good experience moments as well. Case in point, Tata Neu app.

2 Likes

@Abhishek_Ulayil Yes, that’s true in all sense. Sponsors for IPL tend to change from year to year and their global level too. In the current edition, ‘Visit Saudi’ appears to be a major sponsor. Additionally, the RCB jersey features ‘Qatar Airways’ as their primary sponsor.

@yagnesh01 I am still curious about the reasons behind the launch of the Tata Neu app by the TATA group. In contrast, I believe that Ather gained its significant presence through its IPL advertisements and sponsorship of the Gujarat Titans. These two factors played a vital role in making the brand popular in our region.

Also, I can see CSK :yellow_heart: and RCB :heart:leading the polls here :grin: :grin:

1 Like

Abdul, as per an ET report, Tata Digital was increasingly concerned about the delay in the launch and believed it was now or never, where the Tata Neu team still believed there were issues that had to be addressed before the launch. Ultimately the owner had the last word.

tata neu is great for discounts flat 5% i almost save about 100 each month because of tata neu

But the app isn’t feel optimised

1 Like

Tata means Trust
But in case of Tata Neu I have zero trust @Pratyay_Mustafi
As @saurabh.s pointed out, the UI of the app in the beginning was below average. and it always give wonders to me. On one side Tata group has TCS and on the other they Tata Neu app.

Till today , I haven’t purchased anything from this app.

1 Like

it’s cluttered i generally add items in cart from 1mg and bigbasket and pay from tata neu

1 Like

I am uncertain how many members on this forum were aware of this, but when Tata Neu was introduced, they provided customers with a Qik EMI Card. Out of curiosity, I applied for the card and was approved with a credit limit of 75000. However, there was only one option available with the card, which was to convert purchases into three EMI plans.

On a comical note, Tata Neu abruptly stopped offering this card without any prior notice. All of this demonstrates their unsuccessful efforts to impress customers.

1 Like

I just used it two or three times when it was first launched. But, UX was worst and didn’t use after that.

I have not purchased anything big as yet. Some ayurvedic medicine from 1MG and 2 grocery orders from Big Basket. What is surprising they do not offer Star Bazar on Neu App. If that happens, Big Basket will face a stiff challenge.

1 Like

Finally an IPL :cricket_bat_and_ball: themed Offer is here :rofl: :rofl: :fire:

3 Likes

Your suggestion worked!!

Jupiter community making Jupiter App :sunglasses: :star_struck:

CSK lift the trophy for the 5time :trophy: :partying_face:

1 Like

I was hoping they win. I like the fact some of players that felt sidelined had an opportunity to express themselves and contribute.

3 Likes

@saurabh.s So you’re a huge fan of YELLOVE! :yellow_heart::yellow_heart:
As for me, I’ve been a die-hard Rajasthan Royals fan since 2008, all because of Shane Warne. :blue_heart:
Last night, I found myself supporting the Gujarat Titans, believe it or not! :joy: The main reason behind this choice was the attitude of many CSK fans around here in my locality. I can’t quite figure out why, but they always attribute the team’s success to just one person (you know who I mean! :joy::speak_no_evil:).
Even when Jadeja achieves the impossible, I rarely see anyone giving him the credit he deserves, here in my village.
Before the start of the season, I had a strong feeling that CSK would lift the trophy, much like Argentina did for Messi when they said he would retire after the World Cup. I strongly felt that the same thing would happen for CSK, and whenever someone asks the captain if he plans to retire after the season, the answer would be a resounding “Definitely not!” :joy::joy:
@yagnesh01 Sir, you have to be a MI fan :blue_heart:? right?
Anyway lets wait and see next season :crossed_swords: :crossed_swords:

1 Like