aving and investing are important and help in securing your financial future. Putting money in a provident fund (PF) is a popular investment option, especially to build a retirement corpus.
When you invest in PF, you contribute a certain amount regularly to the account. In some cases, your employer and even the government may contribute to your account.
All PF investments are maintained by the Employees’ Provident Fund Organization (EPFO). The EPFO allocates a unique 12-digit Universal Account Number (UAN) for every account. The UAN remains constant even if you change your company.
What is an EPF passbook?
The EPFO provides an Employee Provident Fund (EPF) passbook, which is similar to a bank account passbook. It records all the transactions made through your EPF account.
You may check the account statement, download, and print it without any difficulties. The passbook is accessible through the EPFO app.
However, before downloading it, you need to activate the UAN passbook using the 12-digit number allocated by the EPFO.
How to check your UAN status online?
Since all EPF services are now available online, activating the UAN is important. The 12-digit unique number is generated by the EPFO and authenticated by the Ministry of Labor and Employment.
The UAN is constant even when you move from one organization to another. Some employers may print the UAN on your salary slips. However, here is how you can check the UAN status online via the portal:
- Provide your registered mobile number and captcha to request the one-time password (OTP)
- Next, enter your name, birth date, Permanent Account Number (PAN)/Aadhar number/Member ID, and captcha, and then click on the ‘Show my UAN’ tab
- Input the PIN that you receive on your registered mobile number and click on the ‘Validate OTP and get UAN’ tab to get the UAN on your mobile number
Components of EPF passbook or UAN passbook
- EPF account number in an alphanumeric format, which represents the state, regional office, code of establishment, and member code
- UAN serves as the unique identification number of your account; all EPFO accountholders are provided with a UAN member passbook and UAN portal passbook
- Basic information, such as your name, date of birth, company joining date, and establishment name and address
- Opening balance under employee and employer columns, which includes contribution plus interest earned during the previous year
- Monthly contributions made by you and your employer
- Interest calculated on the monthly running balance, which is credited at the end of the financial year; the rate is also shown in the passbook
- Details about any withdrawals you may have made during the year
- Closing balance including contributions and interest is shown as the opening balance for the following year
- Contributions exceeding the mandatory minimum 12% limit are shown as voluntary provident fund (VPF) contributions
Step-by-step procedure to download EPF passbook online
The EPF passbook download procedure is easy and can be done via the EPF portal. Follow the below-mentioned steps to download the passbook.
- Visit the official EPF portal and select the e-Passbook option
- Next, enter the UAN, password, and captcha to log in
- The next page displays your member IDs (if you have more than one ID); select the ID for which you want to download the EPF member passbook
- On choosing the member ID, all details are displayed, which can be either downloaded or printed
What is the EPF e-passbook?
An EPF e-passbook makes it easy for all members to check their account statements online at their convenience. You may check the account balance, view the statement, and download and print the information.
The e-passbook is also accessible via the EPFO mobile app. Before you avail of this service, you need to register on the UAN website. The e-passbook comprises all information related to your and your employer’s contributions, interest earnings, and withdrawals (if any).
It also includes Know-Your-Customer (KYC) information like name, PAN, Aadhar number, and bank account.
What are the benefits of the EPFO e-passbook?
The e-passbook offers useful features and has several benefits, which include the following.
- Easy access to all your PF details, which helps in retirement planning
- Enables downloading and printing the information even if you leave your current employer
- Records details of all transactions, which helps you track the regularity of employer’s contributions
- Allows checking the information for any errors, and if any mistakes are found, you may easily get these rectified
How to check your UAN or EPF passbook account balance
EPF passbook balance check can be done in multiple ways, which include the following:
Short Message Service (SMS)
You may send an SMS on 7738299899 from your registered mobile number. You must send the message as ‘EPFOHO UAN ENG’ where the last three alphabets represent your preferred language.
The message is available in 10 languages, including Bengali, English, Gujarati, Hindi, Kannada, Malayalam, Marathi, Punjabi, Tamil, and Telugu. The SMS comprises the KYC details along with information about the last contribution and the balance.
You can get the details by giving a missed call on 011 22901406 through your registered mobile number. To activate the missed call facility, ensure your KYC details are linked to the UAN.
The EPFO portal balance check can be done by following these steps:
- On the portal, click on the ‘Our Services’ tab and then click on ‘For Employees’
- Next, click on the ‘Member Passbook’ tab
- Enter the required details to access your account
- Download the app and select the EPFO option
- Click on ‘Employee Centric Service’
- Enter your UAN
- Input the OTP received on your registered mobile number to proceed
- Click on the ‘View Passbook’ tab under the EPFO option
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What is UAN?
UAN is a 12-digit number allotted by the EPFO and authenticated by the Ministry of Labor and Employment.
How can you check the EPFO member passbook?
You may check the EPFO member passbook via the portal by logging in using the UAN password under the e-passbook section.
How can you receive the EPF statement?
Log in to your EPF account via UAN and select the latest EPF section tab in the ‘My Account’ option. You may download or print the information.
Who is eligible to access the EPF passbook facility?
All individuals who have registered on the EPFO portal are eligible to access the EPF passbook facility. However, exempted, unsettled, and inoperative establishments are not eligible for this service.
How can you log in to the EPF passbook the first time?
To access the EPF passbook the first time, make sure you have activated your UAN via the EPFO portal.
You can activate the UAN from the Member Portal by clicking on the ‘Activate UAN’ tab under the ‘Important Links’ section.
How long does it take for updating the EPF passbook?
In case of any updates, it takes a minimum of six hours to reflect in the online records.
When you check the passbook, ensure all information is accurate and if you find any discrepancies or errors, report it to the EPFO immediately to rectify it on time.
How can you check the PF balance without a password?
You must visit the portal and click on the ‘Forgot Password’ tab on the login page. Follow the steps to reset the password and then use the new password to check your EPF passbook.
Is it mandatory to withdraw the entire balance from the EPF on retirement?
No, it is not compulsory to withdraw the entire accumulated corpus in the EPF account.
However, no additional interest is paid on the account balance if contributions are not made for three consecutive months.
This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://jupiter.money/resources/employee-provident-fund-epf-passbook/